Sunday, November 26, 2006

Scotland and England, June 1998

Note - The following blog was originally posted on the social media site MySpace on November 26th 2006.  I have left the writing unchanged to reflect the moment more accurately.


I can't believe that this was 8 years ago, but I figured what's the point of taking pictures and doing things if you can't show your friends and tell your stories.  They didn't have myspace back then, but I still have the pictures!  As for the story...well, 8 years erases a lot of the details.

If I remember right, I was 23 years old at the time.  It was the summer before my last year of college at UMass and I was working in the laboratory at Franklin Medical Center as a phlebotomist.  I worked with a good guy named Tristan McKenna.  He was pretty funny and made going to work a pleasure.  Between him, Donna and I, the night shift "vampires", we had a blast.
 
Well, the story begins with Tristan's story.  I hope he doesn't mind me posting it on here, but I shall, to the best my memory allows...

Tristan is orginally from Scotland, but moved to the U.S. as a wee lad when his parents divorced.  To make a very long story short, Tristan never heard from his father all the years that he was in America.  Well, one day, he's rooting around in his mother's attic and finds a box that's full of birthday cards, christmas cards and other letters from his father, addressed to him, complete with money inside the cards.  Over the years, his dad had been writing to him, but his mother had been hiding the letters and cards away.  Why, I'm not sure, but needless to say, Tristan exploded.

He contacted his father and arranged to travel to Scotland to visit him.  He told me about it while we were at work one night, and I'm not sure how it came about, but I mentioned that I'd love to go.  I understood that he'd want some privacy while meeting his father, so I arranged to rent a car from Glasgow, Scotland to drive down to London while the meeting took place and then I would meet him in Scotland again after about 5 days. 
This wasn't my first time travelling outside the U.S., (France, Canada and Mexico pictures to follow) but nevertheless, I was very excited.
 
So..that's the story of Tristan and his father.  It was a good trip for both of us and I met his wonderful uncle and aunt, who we stayed with in Coatbridge.  Even though I've spoken English all my life, I could barely understand a word they said, lol.  It was hilarious!  And breakfast...it was like 6 different kinds of sausage on a plate.  I should have drawn a lipid profile on myself when I got back....it would be a great place to be on the Atkins diet.
 
And now...here are the pictures:

The first castle that I saw upon arriving in Scotland.  No idea what it's called or even where it's at, but I was very excited.  It brought out my inner Dungeons and Dragons nerd.


A statue in memorial to Robert the Bruce.  Anybody who's seen Braveheart knows who I'm talking about...

 
Edinburgh Castle
 

Another view of Edinburgh Castle


Interestingly groomed field...


Cemetery for fallen soldiers I believe


Roses on the wall of the castle


At the time, I had no idea I would EVER join the military, nevermind be in an artillery unit now.  Yet I thought it would be awesome to see these cannons pounding away at an oncoming force of soldiers.


Oban, A fishing village on the west coast of Scotland.


Castle ruins, seen from the road when we were travelling past Oban


We got out so I could take a picture of the castle and ran into these long horned cattle.  Here is Tristan, the Scot in my story.


This was a pretty cool castle that was still used.  A Duke lived in it, though I'm not sure what he was the Duke of.


Another view of the same castle...


One of my favorite pictures that I took while there...this Celtic Cross became sort of the inspiration for the tattoo on my shoulder, although I must say, mine looks much better!


The cottage where the famous Scottish poet, Robert Burns lived.  Famous for such rhymes as:
"Some have meat, but can'ne eat,
and some can eat but wil'ne
but we've got meat and we can eat
and thank the good Lord for thee"



Strolled through a garden in Ayr, behind the Burns cottage.  Don't know what these flowers are called...


But there sure were a lot of them...


The view of Edinburgh as you drive in...Incredible!


More of the Edinburgh panorama...


Edinburgh with the Edinburgh Castle on the right hand side of the picture


I believe this is one of the Scottish Medical Schools...pretty awesome.  Looks a hell of a lot cooler than the Army Medical Department Center & School in San Antonio, Texas


All of my alcoholic friends will appreciate this one.


Edinburgh Castle as you approach it from the parking lot.  Notice the lovely Scottish weather, I think it was gray for 13 of the 14 days I was there.


Royal Scottish Marines?  No kilts...




I think this was the only picture of me in Scotland


Revisit artillery comment above :)


This was about the time I headed down to London.  I did quite a bit of travelling around down there, but oddly (and sadly), I didn't take many pictures.  Here's the famous London Bridge.


Inside the Tower of London...





Stopped in York, England on the way back to Scotland and visited York Minster (I believe that's what it's called).  Took a picture of the outside, but it's mostly scaffolding, so nothing special to look at.  Here's a couple pictures from inside.


 
We made our way over to Stirling, Scotland and visited Stirling Castle.


Wall detail



And sturdy doors... (studded to deter people trying to bash them down?)


The William Wallace Monument, complete with cheesy Mel Gibson look-alike statue.  Go tourism promotion committee!!  FREEDOM!!!

Another view of the Wallace Monument...sans statue


William Wallace's sword.  They say that to wield this sword, a man would have had to been over 6 feet tall (at a time when most men were around 5'4").  The "leather" on the hilt of the sword was actually the skin of an English General that Wallace defeated!


 
Stirling Castle, as seen from the Wallace Monument

Some pictures of the Scottish Highlands.  Mountains are gorgeous but difficult to photograph when you're trying to convey their massive presence.

 



Back to Edinburgh again, but I cannot remember what it was. 


Another castle in ruins


 
We were able to walk up to this old castle and go inside.  It was pretty cool.

A view of the keep inside the castle


And finally, this was on the chapel just outside this old castle.  I assume it marked some sort of burial grounds or something.












I hope that you enjoyed my story and pictures!  If you know the names or know more about any of these places, feel free to refresh my memory. 

Updated 18 JULY 2014.  While I was in Scotland I was lucky enough to stay with Tristan's Uncle and Aunt.  Sadly, I learned that his uncle passed away within the last year and Tristan sent me a message about it.  They were very kind and generous with a great sense of humor.  They made me feel very welcome in their home.

No comments:

Post a Comment